Sunday, March 22, 2009

Modern News Editing: Chapter 6

Chapter six, in Modern News Editing, is (like chapter five) one of the most valuable I have found in the book. This is because it takes you out of the life of an editor and gives you specific rules and examples to go by when working with stories. This chapter gave lists of words that were mistakenly used as well as lists of grammatical points journalists should review and commonly misspelled words.

Honestly, I love lists! I love lists of facts and information that I can learn and then put to use in some situation in the future. I am positive that all of the random information and tidbits of knowledge that I have in stored in my mind will come in handy one day. And, these types of lists, regarding the English language and writing, fit perfectly with my talents and aspirations. I will definitely be keeping this book to refer back to when I am writing, creatively or journalistically or what not. Also, I can refer back to the list when I will, inevitably, get in word fights with other literary friends. It happens, all in good fun.

So, here are a few of my favorite examples from the lists:

Misused words

Sudden explosion is redundant. Um, yes. When is an explosion not?

Thief. A person who steals without threatening people or breaking into buildings. I did not know this. This is a great piece of information for me to use sometime.

Foreseeable future. Who can see into the future? This one made me giggle.

Alumna, alumnus, alumnae, alumni. One female graduate is an alumna. More than one, alumnae. One male graduate is an alumnus. More than one, alumni, which is also the plural for a group including both men and women. This was VERY helpful. I had no idea there were such distinctions.

Grammatical Points

Farther refers to distance; further refers to thoroughness. “He wanted to check further on the flood damage, so he walked farther onto the bridge.” I NEVER understood this distinction until I read this. Then, it clicked. Finally!

Beside/Besides. Besides means “in addition to,” while beside means “next to.” That clarifies that!

Complement means “to accompany” or “to enhance.” Compliment means “to praise.” I never knew there was a distinction. Now, I do.

Misspelled Words

Guillotine is one of the most commonly misspelled words. Although, I just have to wonder how often it comes in writing for it to be misspelled. Hmmm . . . .

Sizable, lovable. I always want to add an “e” before the “able.”

Necessary. I can never spell this right! I mean I just did, but I had to.

So, there are some of my favorite examples from chapter six. This chapter has been my favorite so far, and I will definitely refer back to it when questions arise.

No comments: